I made some progress on the robe today, though not a great deal. The construction is a bit more complex than it looks: half the sleeve and half the side torso hangs open, so I have to give some thought to how I finish the exposed edges as well the seam allowances. I originally thought I'd want to use the chartreuse sateen on the cuffs and hem as well as around the front, but I kind of like how it looks now.
You may recall that these were the silky cottons I'd picked out for the pajamas.
As fond as I am of them, they're somewhat drab. I've already used most of the tan cotton for my shirt and I have enough left for trim only. So off I went you-know-whating again.
I came home with this lavender dotted swiss and what looks like a Moorish-inspired, lawn-weight cotton print. It may be a little bright for the period (or how I picture the period), but it's more cheerful than the drab tan and gray-purple.
I love the idea of pattern mixing but it also gives me agita. I remind myself that I can always use this for some other project if I change my mind and choose something else. Celebrity sighting: Judy Collins in the cotton aisle!
That's it, folks, a short post.
I hope your projects are coming along swimmingly; it's starting to feel like the summer is winding down for me.
I'm a native New Yorker and self-taught sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using mostly vintage patterns and vintage sewing machines. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!