After hemming the psychedelic terrycloth robe, the only thing left to do was add pockets.
Originally I thought I'd make the rectangular ones from the pattern, but then it occurred to me that it might be more interesting to make round patch pockets for a groovier feel. Tracing a bread plate, I cut four circles, stitched each pair right sides together (leaving a small opening), and then turned them right side out. I used a little fusible web to seal the opening.
Next I topstitched them, then stitched them to the robe, leaving an opening at the side/top. (These are really just to hold a Kleenex or keys.)
And voilá, my robe is finished and ready for mother! (Tune in tomorrow for her reaction.)
Everybody wants to get into the act... (Guess who)
I'm a native New Yorker and sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using vintage sewing machines and vintage patterns, in addition to sewing for private clients. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!