Jun 20, 2014
Friends, I'm excited to announce that our 4th (!) annual MPB Day is scheduled for Saturday, August 9th.
If you haven't attended before, MPB Day is an annual celebration much like Christmas, without the presents, or Thanksgiving, without the in-laws.
And like those arguably better-known holidays, MPB Day is about tradition: we do it the same way every time (with tweaks) and everybody's welcome: old faces, new faces -- even new versions of the old faces.
Here's what's in store this year:
1. We'll meet outside the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) Museum entrance at Seventh Avenue and 27th Street at 11 am. See that sculpture below? That's the place! (Directions here.)
From 11 am to noon we'll catch the brand new exhibit, Exposed: A History of Lingerie, currently showing there. (Admission is free; please wear clean underwear)
2. After the museum, we'll grab a healthful lunch one block north at Panera Bread between 28th & 29th Streets. During your meal you'll enjoy New York City's largest pattern swap ever held at a Panera Bread!
We'll be there till approximately 1 pm for those who wish to skip the museum and meet us for lunch.
3. Following lunch we'll stroll approximately ten blocks north to the heart of the Garment District, where we'll fabric shop. (We generally split up into smaller groups so nobody gets dragged where they don't want to go.) We'll visit some of our favorite fabric and notions stores, including Mood, Paron's, Sil Thread, Pacific Trim, Chic Fabric, and Around the World Books.
If there's a store you especially want included, please let me know!
4. We'll shop away the afternoon and perhaps grab a quick pick-me-up at the cafe in the Japanese bookstore, Kinokuniya (Japanese pattern books galore + yummy snacks and drinks), on Sixth Avenue near 42nd Street.
4) Finally, we'll all meet up again in Bryant Park, where we'll quench our thirst, display our treasures, and pop our blisters.
Expect the day to wind up around 5 - 5:30 pm.
Early Bird Special!
As in years past, early risers who wish to start their MPB Day hunting for flea market finds for an hour or so, can meet me at the Chelsea Flea Market at 9:30 am.
We'll meet outside Blue Dog Kitchen (a great place to grab a cup of coffee, btw), 101 West 25th St., just west of the northwest corner of Sixth Avenue and 25th Street.
MPB Day is a free event, but you'll probably want to bring some $$ for lunch and fabric. A bottle of water is highly recommended!
I'll be reminding you as we get closer to the date, but please RSVP by sending me an email at peterlappinnyc at gmail dot com, so I know who's coming.
If you know already that you'll be joining us at the museum, the flea market, or Panera Bread, please tell me.
NOTE - This is a rain or shine event.
You can read about previous MPB Days here, here, and here.
Hope to see you there!
Labels: MPB Day